- Mar 14: David Joyner presents remotely to SIGCSE 2020. David Joyner presented the paper "Enrollment Motivations in an Online Graduate CS Program: Trends & Gender- and Age-Based Differences" remotely to the 2020 SIGCSE conference.
- Mar 02: Paper accepted to ITICSE 2020. David Joyner and the teaching assistants for CS1301 authored a paper on what determines students' attitudes towards CS during a semester in a CS1 class.
- Jan 02: Alex Duncan presents two papers at HICE. Alex Duncan presented "Advising of the Students, by the Students, for the Students: The Case of a Student-Owned Peer Advising Community" and "Eroding Investment in Repeated Peer Review: A Reaction to Unrequited Aid?" to the 2020 HICE conference.
- Dec 10: OMSCS and CS1301 win Reimagine Education Awards. The OMSCS program won first place in the Best Distributed/Online Program for Nurturing 21st-Century Skills category, and CS1301 took the Bronze Award for the Engineering & IT Discipline.
- Oct 25: David Joyner presents two papers at Learning with MOOCs 2019. David Joyner presented the papers "Annotation-free Automatic Examination Essay Feedback Generation" and "Surveying the MOOC Data Set Universe" at the 2019 Learning with MOOCs conference this week.
- Oct 04: Full paper accepted to 2020 SIGCSE conference. Alex Duncan, Bobbie Eicher, and David Joyner have had "Enrollment Motivations in an Online Graduate CS Program: Trends & Gender- and Age-Based Differences" accepted to the 2020 SIGCSE conference.
- Jul 25: Two papers accepted to Learning with MOOCs 2019. Filipe Altoe, James Lohse, Christine McManus, and David Joyner have had papers accepted to the 2019 Learning with MOOCs conference.
- Jul 01: Chapter published in USG Essays on Best Practices. David Joyner's article, "Creating Cadence: Fostering Persistent Engagement in Asynchronous Online Courses", was published in a USG handbook on teaching practices.
- Jun 01: Journal article published in Online Learning. "Designing and Developing Video Lessons for Online Learning: A Seven-Principle Model" by Chaohua Ou, David Joyner, and Ashok Goel has been published in the journal Online Learning.
- May 02: Two short papers accepted to Learning @ Scale 2019. Alex Duncan, Denise Kutnick, and David Joyner have had papers accepted for presentation as posters at Learning @ Scale 2019.
- Apr 19: David Joyner wins Georgia Tech Teaching Excellence Award. David Joyner has won the inaugural Georgia Tech Teaching Excellence Award for Online Teaching.
- Apr 01: Book chapter published in MIT Press Blended Learning volume. Partnering with MIT Press, several Georgia Tech professors and teachers have written a volume of papers about different experiments in blended learning titled Blended Learning in Practice. As part of the book, David Joyner wrote a chapter titled “Building Purposeful Online Learning: Outcomes from Blending CS1”. The chapter looks at the design of online CS1 […]
- Mar 12: Full paper accepted to 2019 ACM Learning @ Scale conference. David Joyner's and Charles Isbell's paper "Master’s at Scale: Five Years in a Scalable Online Graduate Degree" has been accepted for Learning @ Scale 2019.
- Feb 08: David Joyner wins USG Regents’ Award. David Joyner has been awarded the USG Regents' Teaching Excellence Award for Online Teaching.
- Jan 18: Two full papers accepted for ACM CompEd 2019. Two papers, one co-authored by David Joyner, Charles Isbell, Thad Starner, and Ashok Goel and one co-authored by David Joyner and Melinda McDaniel, have been accepted to ACM CompEd 2019.
- Dec 15: Full paper accepted to Learning @ Scale 2017. David Joyner's paper "Scaling Expert Feedback: Two Case Studies" has been accepted to Learning @ Scale 2017
- Oct 05: Presenting at Learning with MOOCs 2016. David Joyner is presenting a talk and three posters at Learning with MOOCs this week.
- Sep 17: Two OMSCS students join and three return to LucyLabs for Fall 2016. Dustin Watts and Mason Gallo join LucyLabs for Fall 2016, accompanied by the return of Thom Kenney, Snejana Shegheva, and Sam Bartlett. Welcome, all!
- Sep 03: Three short papers accepted to Learning with MOOCs 2016. Three additional papers have been accepted as posters for Learning with MOOCs III in Philadelphia on October 6th and 7th. Congratulations to authors Amanda Madden, Damian Durruty, Ashok Goel, and David Joyner!
- Sep 01: David Joyner featured in 2016 Faces of Inclusive Excellence. David Joyner was featured in Georgia Tech's Faces of Inclusive Excellence from the Office of Institute Diversity.
- Jun 16: Paper accepted to Learning with MOOCs 2016. “Scaling the human expert’s role in large online programs” has been accepted for publication at Learning with MOOCs III. The paper is authored by David Joyner and covers efforts to increase human touch in Udacity's Nanodegree programs through expert project review and mentorship. Congratulations, David!
- May 20: Six OMSCS students join LucyLabs for Summer 2016. Adelene Sim, Thom Kenney, Jace van Auken, Snejana Shegheva, Bhavin Thaker, and Damian Durruty have joined LucyLabs for projects during the Summer 2016 semester. Welcome, all!
- Apr 25: David, Dana, and Chaohua present at Learning @ Scale 2016. David Joyner, Dana Sheahen, and Chaohua Ou are in Edinburgh, Scotland presenting our five papers. All five presentations are part of the conference's flipped sessions, and the pre-recorded presentations are available here.
- Apr 15: Learning @ Scale Flipped Presentations Now Available. For our five Learning @ Scale papers, we are participating in a flipped session. This entails filming the presentation in advance. The presentations are open to the public and now available.
- Apr 07: David Joyner wins the CoC Doctoral Dissertation Award. David Joyner has been selected as the winner of the 2016 College of Computing Doctoral Dissertation Award. The award will be presented on April 25th at the CoC Award Luncheon.
- Mar 29: David Joyner wins the Lockheed Excellence in Teaching Award. David Joyner has been announced as the winner of the 2016 Lockheed Excellence in Teaching Award. The award will be presented on April 25th at the CoC Award Luncheon.
- Feb 26: David Joyner joins C21U. Effective today, David Joyner has joined the faculty for the Georgia Tech Center for 21st Century Universities.
- Feb 13: Ashok Goel Delivers Paper to EAAI 2016. In Phoenix, Arizona today, Ashok presented "Design of an Online Course on Knowledge-Based AI" at the 6th Symposium on Educational Advances in AI.
- Feb 10: Fifth Paper Accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. "TAPS: A MOSS Extension for Detecting Software Plagiarism at Scale", co-authored by Dana Sheahen and David Joyner, has been accepted as a short paper to Learning @ Scale 2016. Congratulations, Dana and David!
- Jan 11: Sam Bartlett joins LucyLabs. Sam Bartlett has joined LucyLabs for the Spring 2016 semester, continuing his work on developing mobile apps for increasing student retention in online classrooms by reducing the cognitive load.
- Jan 11: Saurav Jha joins LucyLabs. Saurav Jha has joined LucyLabs for the Spring 2016 semester, continuing his work on developing solutions to group formation in online classes.
- Dec 14: Paper on Udacity’s project review system accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. "Expert Evaluation of 300 Projects per Day", authored by David Joyner, has been accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. Congratulations, David!
- Dec 14: Paper on the designing course videos accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. "Designing Videos with Pedagogical Strategies: Online Students’ Perceptions of Their Effectiveness", co-authored by Chaohua Ou, Ashok Goel, David Joyner, and Daniel Haynes, has been accepted as a short paper to Learning @ Scale 2016. Congratulations!
- Dec 14: Paper on the OMSCS accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. "The Unexpected Pedagogical Benefits of Making Higher Education Accessible" has been accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. The paper is co-authored by David Joyner, Ashok Goel, and Charles Isbell. Congratulations!
- Dec 14: Paper on “Graders as Meta-Reviewers” Accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. "Graders as Meta-Reviewers: Simultaneously Scaling and Improving Expert Evaluation for Large Online Classrooms" has been accepted to Learning @ Scale 2016. The paper is co-authored by David Joyner, Wade Ashby, Liam Irish, Yeeling Lam, Jacob Langston, Isabel Lupiani, Mike Lustig, Paige Pettoruto, Dana Sheahen, Angela Smiley, Amy Bruckman, and Ashok Goel. Congratulations, everyone!
- Nov 08: Paper accepted to EAAI 2016. "Design of an Online Course on Knowledge-Based AI", co-authored by Ashok Goel and David Joyner, has been accepted to the Sixth Symposium on Educational Advances in Artificial in Intelligence. Congratulations, Ashok and David!
- Oct 19: Paper accepted to the International Journal for Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning. "An Experiment in Teaching Artificial Intelligence Online", co-authored by Ashok Goel and David Joyner, has been accepted to the International Journal for Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning. Congratulations, Ashok and David!