Funded by a grant from Mozilla, we are investigating the usage of virtual reality environments (especially Mozilla Hubs) to support social interaction in online education. Applications of virtual reality include synchronous viewing parties, office hours, student lounges, and poster sessions.
Virtual Reality in Online Education
- 2021: Content-Neutral Immersive Environments for Cultivating Scalable Camaraderie. David A. Joyner, Akhil Mavilakandy, Ishaani Mittal, Denise Kutnick & Blair Macintyre. In Proceedings of the Eighth ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale.
- 2019: Synchronous at Scale: Investigation and Implementation of a Semi-Synchronous Online Lecture Platform. Denise Kutnick & David A. Joyner. In Proceedings of the 6th Annual ACM Conference on Learning at Scale.
- 23 Jun 2021: LucyLabs members present at Learning @ Scale 2021. David Joyner, Alex Duncan, and Bobbie Eicher will present four papers at Learning @ Scale this week.
- 23 Mar 2021: Full paper accepted to Learning @ Scale 2021. "Content-Neutral Immersive Environments for Cultivating Scalable Camaraderie" by David Joyner, Akhil Mavilakandy, Ishaani Mittal, Denise Kutnick, and Blair MacIntyre has been accepted for the 2021 conference.
- 24 Jun 2019: Three papers presented at the 2019 Learning @ Scale conference. LucyLabs members presented three papers at Learning @ Scale this week: "Master’s at Scale: Five Years in a Scalable Online Graduate Degree", "Synchronous at Scale: Investigation and Implementation of a Semi-Synchronous Online Lecture Platform", and "Peer Advising at Scale: Content and Context of a Learner-Owned Course Evaluation System".
- 02 May 2019: Two short papers accepted to Learning @ Scale 2019. Alex Duncan, Denise Kutnick, and David Joyner have had papers accepted for presentation as posters at Learning @ Scale 2019.
- 10 Jul 2018: Mozilla Grant Received for VR in Online Education. We have received a Mozilla Research gift of $45,000 to research the use of virtual reality in online education.